Pöyry (Montreal) Inc. — Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
This project installed a 100 MW cogeneration facility at the Algoma Steel's Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario site. The plant is fuelled by blast furnace gas (BFG) and coke oven gas (COG) from the Algoma Steel plant operations, and it generates both electricity and process steam.
The plant consists of two 371,300 lb/hr BFG/COG fuel-fired boilers and one 100 MW condensing steam turbine generator installed in an existing steel mill building. The steam turbine generator was mounted on a new table-top foundation.
CHA Canada provided detailed engineering, design and procurement engineering for the main steam cycle, the high voltage electrical system and protection/coordination, and the steam turbine generator foundation. Pöyry provided project services and detailed engineering for the balance of plant.
- Specification and technical coordination
- Steam turbine generator
- By-product gas-fired boilers
- Steam condenser
- Closed feedwater heaters and deaerator
- Boiler feedwater pumps and condensate extraction pumps
- Blowdown tanks
- 13.8 kV-34.5 kV generator step-up transformer and 34.5 kV switchgear
- Design and construction drawings and documents
- Main steam, condensate, feedwater, vents and drains piping systems
- High voltage electrical systems
- Electrical systems protection
- Analysis and design of the turbine generator foundation structure